Thursday, September 13, 2012

Old enough to know better, but too young to care… or too young to pass, and old enough to care


Old enough to know better, but too young to care… or too young to pass, and old enough to care

Lately I have realized that I am stuck in the awkward period where I am supposed to transition from a care-free young person into an adult. I am supposed to grow up, society says so, whether I like it or not. Personally, this process of ‘growing up’ has been going on for quite some time.

I have worked consistently since I was 16. While in college I have worked, and now that I am in grad school, I work full time.  My bills, my wants, my car, everything is my responsibility—and I prefer it that way.

I work hard. I am more than qualified to do my job, and as my boss, co-workers, and managers have expressed, I do it well.  Still, despite this fact, I am treated in a different manor by customers and coworkers alike.

You see, I am a receptionist/cashier/assistant sales administrator at a car dealership. Interesting title, I know. In my role as the receptionist, I constantly get treated differently by customers.

This is what usually happens: A customer walks in the front doors. I greet them with a cheerful “hello!” Many customers will turn to me and smile in response, some will even say hi back, but most of the time they look at me, then wander over to my coworker’s desk and stand there. At this point, I engage them again saying, “Can I help you?”  The response to this baffles me.  On several occasions I have been blown off by the customer completely. Either they don’t acknowledge that I spoke to them, or they will again just give me a smile. These reactions are irritating, but not even the worst. The WORST response is when people turn to me and say “No.”  You are probably wondering why that is so bad. Well, it’s bad because after they tell me that they do not need any assistance, they proceed to stand at my coworker’s desk and wait for her to ask-- as it turns out, they do need help, they just dont want it from me.

Why won’t these people let me help them? It IS my job after all.

With all these frustrations going on at work, I remain hopeful as I look for another job. (Not because of this, but because I am moving) Unfortunately, I have run into some issues when applying for jobs and meeting for interviews.

I have had several interviews, and at almost every single one I have had a comment related to how ‘young’ I am made by the potential employer.  One asked me if I planned to have children, ya know, because I’m at that age where most start having their first one. Not only was I a little insulted by the question, but I am pretty sure that question isn’t exactly legal. When I said ‘no, not for a long time.’ He raised his eyebrows and gave me a judging look. Then he proceeded to tell me about how they provide service for the entire family. Crap, guess I blew that one.

The second happened when I was asked the all time favorite ‘where do you see yourself in five years?’  My answer was a good one. The job I was interviewing for actually coincided to future plans.  After some talk with some of the other people interviewing me (it was a panel of 5), one of the interviewers looked at me and said ‘plans can change in college. I thought I was going to be a _____ but here I am doing ____!’ I reassured him that I was set on my choice, but the look on his face was full of doubt.

I find it harder and harder to step it up as an adult when people keep pushing me down. Society wants me to grow up, but employers, customers, even coworkers still see me as someone too young—regardless of my qualifications, education, or professionalism. Instead, they judge me on my age, appearance, and possibly my love for polka dots.

I wish I could scream my frustrations at the top of my lungs. Yes, I do love high heels, polka dots, cupcakes, and young adult fads, but I am also well educated, a quick learner, qualified, sincere, and professional.

I am youthful, and proud. Why must I be penalized for it?

Ahh, the troubles and triumphs of the mid twenty-somethings

No comments:

Post a Comment